Importance of Dental Crowns in Greenville
There is never a better time to start taking care of your teeth than right now. There is more than enough information being circulated in the world today than ever before. Besides, the virtual internet world has increased the accessibility of both information and service providers. There is, therefore, no excuse for why you shouldn’t be investing in the health of your mouth.
What Are Dental Crowns?
They are tooth-shaped oral appliances that are used for tooth restoration. They mostly feature porcelain material. They work by covering the entire top of a tooth, more like a cap covers the head. Dental crowns in Greenville are versatile in usage. This means that they can be used for both cosmetic and restorative needs.
How Are Dental Crowns Used?
If you are looking for dental crowns near you, it is important to remember that the way they will be used on you may not be the same as other patients. Dental crowns have multiple uses in dentistry. Some of the ways a dental crown dentist in Scarsdale NY will use the tooth caps include the following:
- 1. For broken tooth – when the enamel of your tooth is broken, it becomes a cosmetic and functional problem. Your tooth may be subject to discomfort, particularly increased sensitivity. Such a tooth can be restored using dental crowns.
- 2. For cracks and chips – sometimes your tooth is not even broken. A chip or a crack can pose dental problems. For one, it can result in nerve damage to your teeth. Other than that, the crack can hurt your gums with frequent accidental biting. A dental crown can be used to replace the cracked or chipped tooth.
- 3. For missing teeth – people lose their teeth all the time. It can be during sporting activities, a traumatic injury, or periodontal disease. If one of your teeth has been lost, or more, dental crowns can be used to replace them. However, crowns are not used for tooth replacement on their own. They are used alongside dental bridges or implants. For bridges, the crowns are used to offer support to the artificial tooth. It is usually placed over the adjacent teeth of the missing tooth. On the other hand, dental crowns are used to cover oral implants. They are placed over the metal fixture to complete the implantation process.
- 4. For dental decay – the decay process of a tooth damages the enamel first. After, the dentin and the central part of the tooth continue to suffer damage.
- 5. For cosmetic modification – cosmetic elevation in dentistry is increasing in popularity. People are getting more concerned about the shape, color, and feel of their teeth every day. Thankfully, with dental crowns, you can improve how your teeth look. The best part is that the porcelain oral crowns are tooth-colored. This means that they can be matched to the natural shade of your teeth.
- 6. For root canal therapy – after a root canal, the tooth requires to be sealed, preventing re-entry of bacteria. While a dental filling can get the job done, a dental crown is often preferred. This is because it gives full coverage to the tooth, ensuring that everything is held together securely. In some cases, both a dental filling and crown are used. The filling is used first and then supported by a dental crown that is placed over it.
What Are the Benefits of Dental Crowns?
Having to choose dental crowns for any of the aforementioned dental problems should be an informed decision. You have to know why the crowns are preferable over other types of crowns. Some of the benefits of crowns are:
- 1. They are versatile – as highlighted above, oral crowns severe many purposes in dentistry. They are very reliable for general, cosmetic, restorative, and even pediatric dentistry.
- 2. They strengthen teeth – it is not just about covering the flaws of your teeth. When it comes to dental crowns, they are great for reinforcing the strength of teeth. They hold the tooth in place, allowing it to function optimally. Besides, they can even hold a dental filling in place.
- 3. They are tooth-shaped and tooth-colored – this makes them a lot similar to natural teeth than other teeth replacement options. They also have a cosmetic advantage because of this reason.